What we do: Sand Sisters Los Angeles’ #GIRLPOWERFUL program is a 501(c)3 youth empowerment program designed to give girls the tools to build a strong sense of self. Our mission is to make every girl feel seen, valued and heard. Our philosophy & curriculum is based on social emotional learning and is endorsed by L. Edmondson Ed. D. Our work is for every kind of child. We work with all types of children, from diverse populations comprised of middle class, at-risk youth, girls from single parent homes (we were raised by a single mother), foster youth, multi-ethnic individuals with varied socio-economic backgrounds. Each program strives to empower children to see themselves as confident, strong, intelligent and one-of-a-kind.
Why we do it: Self-esteem is an important determinant of adolescent mental and physical development. Research suggests that children are affected by how much they feel accepted, liked and loved. Much of the influence of an individual’s self-esteem comes from early positive experiences with adults. Helping children develop self-esteem is a matter of helping them gather evidence that they are competent and capable. When adults create opportunities for children to excel and experience success, they are helping children develop a sense of self worth by feeling seen, valued and heard.
- 52% of girls ages 7-21 are unhappy with their appearance
- 7 out of 10 girls say pictures of celebrities in the media make them anxious about their bodies
- During the past 30 years, obesity rates have doubled for adults and preschool children, while tripling among school age children and adolescents in the U.S.
- Obesity in children and adolescents carries serious health consequences such as heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, asthma, poor self esteem, depression and more
- Low self-esteem is a main cause of depression, which 35 million people suffer from worldwide
How we make a difference:
- After School Enrichment Program: Sand Sisters Los Angeles is a youth program designed to encourage children to lead active and healthy lives. We offer three 10 week enrichment programs in independent schools: #GIRLPOWERFUL, Dance Your Heart Out and Oceanography. Our lessons are based on our belief in respect, high self-esteem, Los Angeles community involvement, nature and being active.
- Summer Beach Camp: Sand Sisters Los Angeles holds a youth beach camp, Monday – Friday during the summer season. The program promotes health and wellness and nurtures children to connect with the ocean on a deeper level through the confidence they gain while engaging in water sport activities. The camp provides a happy, healthy, compassionate and safe environment for the campers to blossom at their own pace.
- #GIRLPOWERFUL Workshops / Youth Outreach: Sand Sisters Los Angeles partners with nonprofit organizations who help children and teens. At a dedicated site, girls are empowered to be strong and active through self-esteem building, movement and sisterhood. Conversations center around healthy eating habits, daily workouts, settings goals, working hard to reach those goals and feeding the soul by participating in activities the girls like to do. The girls not only have a fun day with us, they become stronger, braver and inspired to believe in themselves.
- Self-Love Club for Women: Sand Sisters Los Angeles believes in community building and connection. We host quarterly Self-Love Club events for women to gather, self-reflect, connect and be hands-on. Events can be centered around self-care or movement. Past partners include TOMS, Sweaty Betty, The Created Co., Barry’s Bootcamp, SoulCycle, Superba Food + Bread, BoxUnion, CycleBar, RYU and more.